I've been sleeping on the couch, and setting my alarm for every two hours, so that I can poke Louis to make sure he is still alive.
No, I'm not crazy! I just thought we may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. Yes, I do have a carbon monoxide alarm.
TEN and I each bought one after we watched a program about a husband who killed his wife by carbon monoxide poisoning. It was totally intentional, and I trust TEN and all, but I still bought one. Just in case.
Anyway, I was laying on the couch after grocery shopping and started to have a horrible headache. Look here at what Wikipedia says about the side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning:
Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headaches, vertigo, and flu-like effects; larger exposures can lead to significant toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and even death.
My headache kept getting worse, and then I went down to the basement to do some laundry. I smelled the most horrible "gas-like" smell. I have an ANCIENT oil furnace, and immediately became convinced that the pilot light must be out and the oil fumes were what I was smelling.
(this is not my furnace, but mine looks about the same. my basement, on the other hand, is much cleaner :)
I became convinced that Louis and I were being POISONED! Look here at what Wikipedia says about where carbon monoxide poisoning originates:
It is often produced in domestic or industrial settings by older motor vehicles and other gasoline-powered tools, heaters, and cooking equipment.
Alas, the pilot light was burning.
Then I thought I was crazy.
And so, I took Louis and we went outside.
BUT THEN....my headache got better! And he started perking up!
I came back in and tested the carbon monoxide alarm. It appeared to be working. I then turned every single ceiling fan on high. I turned the heather completely off, and put on winter PJ's and heavy socks. I bundled Louis up in a blanket, and I set my alarm for every 2 hours.
You see, TEN is out of town. He is the only person I would have confessed my crazy to without being embarrassed. And so...I decided that by waking up every 2 hours I would be able to keep Louis and I safe IF we really were being poisoned. Somehow it seemed like a really good plan.
And it may have been?
Both Louis and I are still alive, I'm happy to report :) I've not turned the heat back on in the house, but now the fans are off. Louis has lots of extra blankets to snuggle with if he gets chilled while I'm at work, and the heating/air person is coming to check out the situation for me.
So that's what has been going on in Louis' life this week. He's been poked and prodded, on a regular basis, by his crazy mummy. He's gone to day care to get him out of the house as much as possible. I've had my thread and needle out, trying to take in his Halloween costume. It ALMOST fits him. And...he's got a new friend.
Oh. Did I not mention that? Here, have a look at the new pup in Louis' life...
T & Louis