Friday, July 22, 2011

Looking For a Little Spice In Your Life?



I got an e-mail from Dee of Dee's Adventures last week.  She was telling me about these tasty enchilada's that she and her hubby made.  It's one of Gina's recipes, of course, because we all know that I'm a little bit obsessed.  Anyway, Dee said they were fantastic and I decided I needed to make them as well. 

With the trip to Charleston and such I didn't get around to making them until Tuesday evening.  And let me just tell you.  DELISH!  A little spiiiiiiicy, if you will, but there are options to tone that down a bit if you aren't looking to light yourself on fire :)  We, on the other hand, opted to fire it up!


(this is where you have the option to go hotter, or not so much.)

(we opted to add TWO tbsp of this rather than just one. let me tell you what. it made a difference. WHEW!)



(this is the homemade enchilada sauce)


While down in Charleston, at Poe's Tavern as a matter of fact, I discovered a new beer.  TEN had this beer when he was in Amsterdam, and he ordered it.  I ordered a Miller Lite, because I'm not much of a craft beer person.  I don't like to taste pumpkin or hops or bitter things.  I just like to have a nice relaxing buzz.  Is that terrible?  Probably.  But it is what it is.

So TEN told me to taste this beer, and I did.  Because I'm sweet like that :)  And I smiled.  And then, I grabbed that pint back and had another taste.  And another.  And then I had to order one for myself.  YUMMMMMMMMMY!  It's a German Hefeweizen.  It's called Franziskaner Weissbier



I found it online when we got back and went right down to the Kroger to pick some up.  $8.97 a 6-pack, but totally worth it.  You MUST have a lemon wedge with it.  No orange.  Just lemon.  Squeeze that lemon into your glass, seeds and all, and then pour your beer over it.  Ahhhhh...heaven :)

(you will notice the words "pissed" and "London" on this glass.  i got it there while visiting.  currently i am not pleased with our London office.  i felt this glass was appropriate to use tuesday night :)

(i wanted to show you this fancy pants herb chopper that Daisy got me for my birthday, but of course it's sideways.  and you can' really see it.  but anyway....)


(enchilada filling...turkey, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, black beans, and more!)












(perfection!)

I will say that I used quite a bit of reduced fat sour cream on my enchilada.  I mean, it was hot & spicy!  So...if you opt for 2 tbsp of the chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, make sure you've got quite a bit of sour cream on hand.  And probably plenty of beer too :)

Thanks for the recommendation Dee!  I've brought leftovers for lunch today.  Mmmm....

T

5 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

TOTALLY! It's on my favorite list now! We didn't make ours that hot. I made those last Wednesday and with dinner/lunch the next day. Then late night eating -- they were gone by Friday! LOL!

Unknown said...

Those look fantastic! I may have to try those myself!

Unknown said...

I also had this beer while in Amsterdam! It is Delish! The enchiladas look amazing as well.

jillian :: cornflake dreams. said...

YUM! looks so tasty!! xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

Pirus said...

Great reading your blogg post