Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Legare or Lagree? Oh My, Oh Me!

Hello! I'm back :)

I wish I weren't, to be quite honest, but I am. 

Friday morning we packed up the car, and started down the road.  The weather was HORRID.  Just horrid.  Pouring down rain, and cars in ditches on the side of the road every 30 minutes to an hour.  Police and Fire Trucks helping those that had flipped their cars.  Even a jackknifed tractor trailer. 

All due to the rain!

It was terribly nerve wracking, but imagine our delight when we both received the following photo from Daisy:

(with the attached message: "Weekend Slumber Party at Auntie Daisy's here i come!")

It took us 7 hours to get there, but we were okay with that.  Easy does it. 

As we pulled into Charleston the clouds parted and the sun shined down upon us.  Seriously.  Charleston was so pleased we had returned :)  We checked into our hotel (Thanks Dee!), and decided to head out for a a late lunch/early dinner and to check in for Saturday's Pub Crawl.  Down East Bay Street we went...

We tried a few places, but the "happy hour crowd" was too much for us after the long drive.  Stumbling into Moe's Tavern we had no idea we had happened upon one of Charleston's favorite local spots!










After we left the rooftop bar we visited a few other establishments, and then decided to try one more place.  A marina.  Called Salty Mike's.  It was in the middle of nowhere, so we took a rickshaw...


And when we arrived, they were closing. 

Interesting night.  But we didn't mind one bit.  Because we were in Charleston :)


~~~~~ Saturday ~~~~~

Saturday morning we were up bright and early, as we had purchased tickets for a Historic Carriage Tour!  This was recommended to us by everyone who has ever visited Charleston, and I will tell you right now that I will recommend it to everyone I know who is going to Charleston. 

It took 1 hour of our day, and I feel such a better understand of the city as a result.  It was not "too much" history, and quite frankly...I'd have enjoyed a bit more :)  TEN and I agreed that the next time we are in Charleston we will probably take another of those tours.  The city is broken into different zones, so chances are you would get a different zone the next time.

I highly recommend Palmetto Carriage Tours, leaving from The Big Red Barn


**SIDE NOTE** If you book online, you receive all day free parking!!  This will save you anywhere from $8 to $10 for the day, if you plan to spend more time in downtown Charleston.  You also receive a $2 discount PER TICKET if you book online :)


(baby mules.  they kept biting each other :-o)

(our team of mules...Republican & Snookie...talk about a pair!)

(inside of The Big Red Barn.  their animals work 16-18 hours/week on average.  must be nice!)


(Husk!)






("Lagree", please)






(someones backyard...lovely!)


(overpriced baskets)










(the church is circular because they used to believe that "the devil" hid in the corners.  if the church had no corners...no devil!)


(this is the graveyard we end up visiting Sunday night with the Ghost Tour)


(Old Powder Magazine)




(Francis Marion is my father's namesake, and a long ago relative)


After the carriage tour we headed to the Historic Market to do a bit of shopping, grabbed a bite to eat and then headed back to the hotel. 



We got ourselves ready to join the Pub Crawl, and off we went!



Blogger apparently can not handle this number of photos, so I'll continue in another post :)

T

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a fabulous trip! I am all about pub & ghosts tours...they should combine them! I could spend days on end walking around Charleston looking at the homes & gardens. Looking forward to more photos :)

Molly said...

You hit some major hotspots! I LOVE Moe's! We have one by our our house (the 'Crosstown' location).

Salty Mike's is hit or miss, in my opinion- great views though. I refuse to go on summer days. Last I checked there was no AC :(

Dee Stephens said...

I heart Charleston and I visit the Vendue and take one of the carriage tours everytime I go there.
Another fun thing to do? Rent bikes and ride around the Battery! My Mom and I did that! Super Fun!

REBrown said...

Oh a ghost tour sounds like a lot of fun!