Monday, January 3, 2011

Le Cordon Bleu - Specifically Chicken


Last week at cooking class we made Chicken Cordon Bleu.  I was the "chef" for the evening.  I'm not sure what it says about our meal, but this week we are going out to dinner for cooking class :( 

I decorated for the occasion....


I explained the meaning behind France's flag. 


There are three social classes. 

The Bourgeoisie:


The Clergy:


and the Nobility:


Today all social classes are coming together at DSS's faux Le Cordon Bleu cooking school!



We've even invited the traveling gnome to join us!


Now.  Down to the business of cooking!

(Daisy pounds out her chicken breast so that it is flat)

(Marilyn Monroe pounds her chicken breast)

(the chicken breasts are covered in Dijon mustard)

(and fresh chives)

(then, lean ham is spread over the chicken breasts)


(next, Swiss cheese is placed over the ham)

(the chicken breasts are rolled up tightly)

(we've made an egg white & water mixture)

(the chicken breast is covered in the egg white & water mixture)

(and then rolled in crushed corn flakes, or bread crumbs)

(and into the oven they go with a bit of paprika on the top!)

While we are waiting for our supper to cook, Louis gets a bit irritable that we have shoo'd him from the kitchen.


Everyone fawns over him while we have a moment so that he won't pout.  After all, we did put a bandanna on him and call him "Pierre" all evening :-o




Supper was ready, and let me tell you something friends!


This Chicken Cordon Bleu may have been from a "reduced calorie" recipe, but it didn't hurt the flavor one bit!  It was delish!!!


Definitely a successful cooking class :)


As always, if you are interested in a recipe...just let me know!

I also started reading this book over the weekend:


I have to say....it's a little bit too much information for my taste.  Yes, I've really enjoyed hearing about Julia's time growing up in Pasadena.  And hearing about what a prankster she was.  But I wanted to know less about what her father thought of politics, and more about other things.  Granted...I'm only about 1/3 of the way through.  So, I'll report back when I've finished.  I think it's the fact that the life of such a candid and happy person is being told by someone so "factual" (read boring).  I don't know anything about Noel Riley Fitch, but my guess is he's rather sleepy. 

That's why I'm thinking I probably need to purchase this book as well:


It's written BY Julia, and I just know that her personality will come through!   I think that's what I was hoping for in Appetite for Life.  I'm not sure I'll make it all the way through Appetite for Life, to tell you the truth.  I found myself stopping after a few pages and watching the football game on TV.  Anyone who knows me KNOWS that if I'm watching football on the TV then I'm terrbly bored.  Hmph.

Bon Appetit,

T

5 comments:

Dee Stephens said...

This is one of our 'go to' recipes. I cook it about 3x's a month :)
Chicken parm is another one. Same concept with tomato sauce.
Geaux Hokies

Anonymous said...

Yum, yum, yum!!! I need that recipe ASAP! Well, as soon as you'd like ;) GO HOKIES!

An American Girl in London said...

this looks yummy and simple enough for me to handle! how long/what temp does it go in the oven for? ps HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Ann said...

I love chicken cordon bleu and that looks delicious.

the Hard Way said...

"Anyone who knows me KNOWS that if I'm watching football on the TV then I'm terrbly bored. Hmph."

You and me both, my dear!! Time to put that book aside and pick up the Julia-written :) I've heard it's quite good! Leave football for the stadiums and not the couch!