Sunday, February 8, 2009

Side Note:

You may have noticed that I haven't said "Goodbye Guitar Hero" yet. There is a good reason for this. About 5 years ago I had just ended one relationship and met a guy. We'll call him Mr. Right. Mr. Right was 6'4", blonde hair, blue eyes, slim, alum of my university, great smile, great sense of humor, great family, successful architect, my age, etc. He was just plain Mr. Right. He was smitten with me. I ditched him.

I had just come out of a relationship and had found out a few months before that my father was terminally ill. My father was my world, and I think I was just a mess at the time. I wasn't thinking clearly. I didn't realize this, of course, but looking back that is all that makes sense.

I ended things with Mr. Right by ceasing to take his phone calls and not returning his e-mails. Stupid, stupid, stupid. I didn't even break up with him on a post-it. I didn't do it at all. I was a coward. I think the reason I couldn't bring myself to end it to his face is because I didn't have a clue why I was ending it. I did, however, supply my friends with the following reasons:

1. He played the tuba in the band in high school

2. The circumference of the ankle of his pants (too small, hadn't he heard of bootcut?)

3. He wore "tight bike pants" when riding his mountain bike

Yep. That's it folks. I was an idiot. I was struggling to come up with reasons, and those reasons didn't even make any sense. I have lived with this for 5 years. My mother reminds me of this. My friends remind me of this. I remind myself of this.

About 2 years ago I tried to find Mr. Right. I went so far as to call his architectural firm asking to speak with him. (I know, I know...borderline stalker, but I had to do something!). Turns out he has disappeared. There was a Mr. Right sighting at a football game of our alma mater, but nothing came of that. I think of him often. I'm terrified that if I ditch someone else who is nice, regardless of their oddities, this will happen again.
T

No comments: