Thursday, February 5, 2009

Welcome to Match.com!

For those of you who have never experienced Match.com it's a bit overwhelming. You post your profile and the next day you have been viewed by 3,065 people. Of those 3,065 people about half of them have "winked" at you. Then, half of those have e-mailed you. I immediately screened all people without pictures. Why wouldn't you post your picture? I posted mine!

Next, you look at their profile. I eliminated 95% of them because they were missing teeth and wearing John Deer hats while riding a tractor. (Remember I live in Smalltown, VA) Of the 10 I had left I gave their profiles a thorough looking over. If they had 5 kids that lived at home I eliminated them. If they were "currently separated"......goodbye! I was left with about 4 possible matches.

At this point you start e-mailing and learning a bit about each other. This is really hard because you don't have a clue what to say. "Hi, what's your favorite color? Have you lived here long? What do you like to do for fun?" Super awkward. For example, I received this e-mail today:

"HI there I'm XXXXX,I'm 41. I'm divorced with 2 wonderful children. I live and I'm career based out of Smalltown, VA. I consider myself stable and prioritized. I'm vested 20 yrs with the same employer. I own my own home . I enjoy the arts . I hated to see Smalltown, VA Theater shut down. I love coffee shops . I enjoy working out at the gym on a regular basis and I love the beach!"

What do I do with this? What do I say? (I actually won't be saying anything because he's terribly unattractive, but whatever). You get my point.

T

No comments: