Friday, February 18, 2011

I've Been Tagged - Proust Questionnaire

MCW has tagged me to answer Vanity Fair's Proust Questionnaire.  Apparently they ask famous people these questions, and now little old me has been asked to answer them too!  Happy Day.  I'm famous :)

Well, not really. 

But it's fun to pretend, isn't it?

Here goes....


What is your idea of perfect happiness? 
Sitting on the beach with the love of my life and my closest friends, enjoying a "fru-fru" cocktail.  Reminiscing about happy times, and dreaming of what is still to come....

What is your greatest fear?
Losing someone that I love.  I lost my father 3 years ago.  It was the most horrible thing I have ever experienced.  I know that I will lose other people that I love one day, and that knowledge terrifies me.

Which figures do you most identify with?
Anyone that I see having fun with life.  Although there are times when "fun" probably isn't appropriate, the rest of the time it most certainly is.  Smile.  Laugh.  A big belly laugh.  When I see people, anyone, doing this I smile and think to myself "I'll bet we would be great friends".

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My inability to save as much money as I could/should.  I am a very responsible person.  But, when it comes to saving for my future I behave like an irresponsible teenager :(  And there is no excuse for it.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Tardiness.  My time is just as valuable as yours.  Please do not make me wait on you every time we have plans.  I could be doing something important, rather than waiting on you.

What do you most value in your friends?
Reliability and honesty.  Without those two traits,  you will remain in the acquaintance category.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
EGADS.  At the end of the day. 

What is your favorite journey?
One that is taking me somewhere I've never been before.  The excitement of knowing that I am about to experience something I haven't before makes me giddy!

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
I'm with MCW on this one...Temperance.  I think the other 6 are actually underrated most of the time.

What is your favorite occupation?
What an odd question.  I don't exactly know how to answer it.  I think I would have liked to have studied law.  I think I would have made an excellent lawyer.  But being a Special Agent with the FBI was always a dream as well.  I think my "favorite" occupation would be a shop owner.  A shop owner that is independently wealthy, and simply works because they love what they sell...and meeting new people...and having a purpose each day.

What do you dislike most about your appearance?
My broken nose.  Which I have never bothered to have fixed.  And now it's probably too late.  Besides...I would have to save enough money to have a nose job.  Or, go on Bridal Plasty.  And honestly...that's just not an option for this girl.

What is your greatest regret?
Picking the wrong one in college.  Because I'm pretty sure the right one was standing right beside him.

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Louis Wellington :)  Okay, okay...I had one great love.  But he was my FIRST love, and perhaps that is what made him so great?  Because we really just wouldn't be a good match today.  I think my greatest love has yet to be determined.

When and where were you happiest?
I remember one day, in college.  I was driving across a bridge on a beautiful Spring day.  My dad was alive.  I thought I was dating "the one".  I remember thanking God for my life, and for my happiness.  I am happy most of the time.  I love my life.  But that day sticks out as one of the happiest I can remember.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
I would make myself more dedicated to giving to others.  I always mean to.  To volunteer.  To spend time helping those who don't have all of the wonderful things in their lives that I have been blessed with.  But then I get busy.  And I forget.  And that makes me feel very bad about myself :(

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Making the right decisions for my dad, and taking responsibility for everything he needed, when he was ill.  It was terrifying, and I was so very unsure of myself through it all.  But I did it.  And I did it well.  And I will always be gratful that I was able to do that for him. 

What is your most treasured possession?
Louis.  And I mean that.  I have some very special things that my father gave me....my first ring with a "stone" in it.  My first "fancy" watch.  My Cartier Love Bracelet.  But Louis means more to me than any of those material things. He is my heart.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
Lack of faith. 

Where would you like to live?
Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy

What is your most marked characteristic?
I haven't a clue.  Is that terrible? 

What is your greatest extravagance?
My car.

What are the qualities you most like in a man?
Honesty, loyalty, ability to show his feelings, devotion to family, love of animals.

Who are your favorite writers?
F. Scott Fitzgerald, John Steinbeck, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Patricia Cornwell and so many, many more.  Too many to list!

How would you like to die?
In my sleep.

Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
Sherlock Holmes.  Not for the opium use, of course, but for his sheer brilliance.

Who are your heroes in real life?
My friends who have special challenges in their lives, but who do not let those challenges stop them from living life to the fullest.  It is hard not to admire people who don't make excuses, but who continue to succeed, in spite of it all.

What is your motto?
"It is better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

Happy LONG weekend.  I do hope you will be enjoying a long weekend as well :)

I am going to tag the following blogs/bloggers:

mrs.mfc
Charleston Girl
Pigtails and Bowties
Lulu and Daisy
Life Through Preppy Glasses
Preppy in Pittsburgh
How Now Brown Cow
The Holding Pattern

I love you ALL, so please play along :)  These are some of my new-ish friends, and I want to get to know more about them...so I tagged them.

xoxo,

T

7 comments:

MCW said...

This is so insightful. Love your happiest memory and I will move to Cinque Terra with you.

Thanks for playing!

The Bee Charmer said...

Your "Greatest Achievement" made me cry and love you a lot. And you don't want to be a lawyer. Trust me about this....

Tote said...

You seem like a very happy person that has her act together!
Have a great weekend!

The Defunct Curator said...

Oooo. This will be hard. Thanks for the tag. I'll need an extra large glass of wine for this one.

Anonymous said...

Darling thank you very much for your congrats messages!! I continue to read your blog when I find time, it never fails to make me smile :)

Anonymous said...

What great answers! I just learned a few new things about you :) that's why I love these things!! I love all your answers...they are all meaningful and thoughtful, just like you!!

xoxo
Jess

DIMH said...

Vernazza! Yes! I went there for my 23rd birthday. It's so lovely.