Thursday, February 3, 2011

What is the Plural of Platypus?

I was reading Little Miss Can't Be Wrong's blog, how i met your father, yesterday when I came across this photo:


I am infatuated with the platypus.  Always have been.  As a small child (I think I've told you all this?) I reported when asked that it was my favorite animal.  Well, specifically a Duck Billed Platypus

I think there was a part of me that was pleased that I could say the whole thing when I was only 2 years old.

Regardless, it remains my favorite animal.  I purchased a stuffed one for Louis to have :)

So, back to the question of the day.....

What is the Plural of Platypus?  Platypii?  Platypuses? 

This matter is weighing heavily on my mind.  Wikipedia can't even give me a concrete answer.

Baffled,

T

10 comments:

mrs.mfc said...

Wow, that was an absolutely riveting post. Hahahahaha :) I think I'll do some research before I embarrass myself by guessing.

mrs.mfc said...

Since there doesn't seem to be an official term I am wondering if you should just refer to them as platypus, as you would deer or moose? Hmmm.

Holly said...

Those platypus babies are adorable! And I'm going to weigh in even though I have no idea. I vote for platypii because I think it's much more adorable.

Holly =)

how i met your father blog said...

thanks for the sweet shout out! i have NO idea what the plural is... but i LOVE that photo. gives me a good giggle, everytime!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness that is such an adorable pic!

Elizabeth said...

I am cracking up! I have no idea what the plural form would be. Also, I just love the new header! Too cute!

http://cautionblondeblogging.blogspot.com/

Life Through Preppy Glasses said...

such funny looking creatures haha! If i was forced to make a decision i would go with platypi since its kinda like syllabus and syllabi

Jenny DB said...

I'm going to second the city boy and go with platapii, that sounds reasonable. Kindove :-)

The Redhead and her Pooch Lola said...

Oh my gosh...I want them for a pet!! They are so freakin cute!

Love Cocktails and puppydog tails! said...

hehehehe!!! I also would vote for platypii if forced to decide although the above argument for simply calling them platypus makes sense too! Thanks for the smiles today :)