Thursday, February 3, 2011

Who Put Brie in My Mashed Potatoes??? YUM!

Last night Marilyn Monroe hosted cooking class at her home.  She put together a FABULOUS menu for us. 


I've been teaching just the main course when I host class, but now Marilyn Monroe has raised the bar!  I know what I plan to teach for our next cooking class at my house, but I've got to think of some tasty sides to teach as well.  Hmmm.....

Louis also joined us for cooking class, and he and Henry (Marilyn Monroe's pup) played.  And then Louis heard a noise.  And became a scaredy pups.  Again.


And sometimes, when I can't see his face, I'm pretty sure he is just pretending to be a scaredy pups...and really just wants to be snuggled :-o


Anyway, on with it!

We began with the Meatloaf.  Now, let me say that I am NOT a fan of meatloaf.  My mother would make it when I was growing up, and all could taste was catsup.  I would beg for her to make me a plain hamburger instead.  I detest meatloaf.

BUT...I decided to try it again.  Now that my taste buds have emerged from their Chicken Tender & French Frie coma, I thought that perhaps my opinion would be different.  And besides, this meatloaf is Marilyn Monroe's mama's recipe.  And her mama doesn't cook anything that isn't delish!


(4lbs of ground chuck.  EGADS!)

(peppers, onions, oatmeal, bread crumbs, eggs, catsup and more...)

(2 loafs are made)

(this "special sauce" has brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, catsup and other such things)

(douse the loafs with sauce)

(make a valley, of sorts, down the middle of the loaves)

After the meatloaf was ready to go into the oven, it was time for the Brie Mashed Potatoes.  BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.  Yes, they were just as delish and they sound like they would be!

(an entire wheel of Brie with the rhine removed, plus a bit of butter)

(heavy whipping cream)

(mmmmmmmm.......)

Then Marilyn Monroe whips this out to make the Asparagus with Greek Feta Vinaigrette:


Now, I do like Feta Cheese.  I do like Greek olives on my salad.  And I'm wondering....would this salad dressing be to die for?  Hmmmm....  Has anyone tried it before?  On a salad?  I will tell you this, it's absolutely wonderful on sauteed asparagus!


I don't know why we didn't take as many pictures as we usually do, but it probably has something to do with Marilyn Monroe being our resident photographer AND teaching cooking class.  Regardless, dinner was a success.  I will say that I enjoyed each bite of meatloaf with a scoop of brie mashed potatoes, so the full flavor of the meatloaf may not have been detected by my pallet.  Either way...I enjoyed it immensely.  And the asparagus...Mwah!

Tonight I'm going to file my taxes and do some laundry.  It doesn't get any more exciting than that!  Tomorrow, however, is the infamous Valentines Bachelor & Bachelorette Auction in Smalltown, VA.  It should surely prove to give us all types of gossip to discuss ;)  And then Super Bowl commercials on Sunday.  Notice I said "Super Bowl commercials".  That's all I really care about :-o

T

13 comments:

MCW said...

Yummm!!!!!!!! I just got hungry for mashed potatoes and a big loaf of meat.

PS - I have always spelled the red stuff - ketchup - is it with a C???

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Brie Mashed Potatoes...they sounds delish! xx

Dee Stephens said...

I'm not a huge meatloaf fan either but men love it.
A few weeks ago I made PW's meatloaf and it has bacon on it! I made it with Giada's favorite mashed potatoes.
Not healthy but good.
Brie poatoes! FANTABULOUS. I heart Brie.

Twenty Something Blonde said...

Oh my...those taters sound delish! I may have to be trying those out soon. And let me tell you, if you are jealous of my parents being in mexico, that puts me on the verge of going crazy because I'm so jealous......It doesn't help that pictures of the beach sent to me all the time. :)

Annie said...

Oh emm gee. Brie mashed potatoes. Helloooooo.

Let me know if you want any ideas for sides. I suppose it depends on what your main dish is and when your class is but I have a couple of Mama's recipes that are pretty fantastic that I could share!

Jess said...

I'm giving myself an invitation for if I ever happen to be in VA. I'm totally coming to eat dinner with you and your friends!! (Do I say I want to hang out with you often - you girls are always doing such fun sounding things! Ha!)

DIMH said...

Omg. Brie mashed tators! Gimme!

The Defunct Curator said...

It all sound amazing! I'm pretty sure I could eat brie every day of my life.

Anonymous said...

Brie in anything gets my attention!! DELISH!! I'm pretty sure they aren't on my Jillian Michael's diet, but we won't tell her ;)

Have fun tomorrow night!! We will be enjoying our night elsewhere ;) haha

xoxo

Tote said...

Oh my gosh, it looked delish! I am not a fan of meat loaf either, but that looked interesting. I may have to try it.

Jenny DB said...

Brie mashed potatoes sound AMAZING! :-)

TudorCity Girl said...

Congrats on the 2 years and happy birthday blog!! Ahh, the "match.com horrors as they were"!!! isn't it so nice to see that is in the past and how incredibly far things have come!
I've never thought of making brie mashed potatoes...YUM!

Peaches said...

This meal sounds so yummy and comforting. My MIL uses oatmeal in her meatloaf and it's not what I'm used to but I like it!