Monday, April 18, 2011

Happy Endings - My Two Cents




Last week I asked what you thought about the show Happy Endings.  You told me what YOU thought (thank you), and now I'll give my two cents.

I had seen some commercials for the show, and I wasn't too impressed.  The humor seemed forced.  Like that really cheesy attempt at humor that makes your skin crawl, and you are embarrassed for the actor.

So, I didn't set the DVR.  And then....I just happened to turn on the TV and it was starting.  And I laughed.  Hard.  Out loud.  Qutie a few times.

There certainly were times where I thought to myself "aww...that joke really fell short" or "ewww...cheesy".  But, those times were few and far between. 

I'm not saying that this is my new favorite show by any means, BUT...it is now set to record on the DVR. I want to give it a chance.  I really like some of the characters. 



My least favorite characters are the guy & girl that were supposed to get married (Dave & Alex).  They bore me.  My favorite characters are Brad, Jane & Max.  I think what I like most about these three is that they are not stereotyped.  Brad and Jane are an interracial couple, and it took me about 10 minutes to figure that out.  It wasn't "in your face" the way some shows are. Trying to make you "accept" them.  They just are.  And I like that.  And they are the cutest couple ever.  Same thing with Max, who is gay.  Yes, they talk about him being gay...but he isn't some stereotypical character.  He's just a guy.  Who is gay.  (and also happens to be presh) And I like that.

I guess what I'm saying is that those three characters are really "comfortable" for me.  They seem like people who I would be friends with.  Penny (who I think is considered the main character) needs a little bit of work.  I like her, but she tries too hard to be funny sometimes.  I hope her character embraces itself (is that how you would say it?) and is just naturally funny, because she has shown that she can be. 

So in a nutshell...I would recommend anyone watch the show.  Give it a shot.  See what you think.  It's just rare that I like any of these new shows anymore.  I mean I ADORE Modern Family, but even that hardly ever gets an out loud laugh from me these days.  So I'm giving Happy Endings a tentative TWO THUMBS UP. 

And my two favorites from the show:

"Man, you are in chicksand"

"I don't even remember how to make friends.  What do I do?  Just walk up to someone and say blah, blah, blah sports"

T

10 comments:

MCW said...

I also think I am so used to reality I am not used to comedies anymore! But when you go back to old Friends episodes they are so cheesy as well!

Deviled Megs said...

I really liked this show and am hoping it finds its' groove. And I liked Penny...probs cause I think she reminded me of me. Trying too hard I guess haha.

Unknown said...

Well said...and I love CHICKSAND! So ready for Penny Can to be back though. Cougartown is more my "age" bracket. ha!

Mikelle Jade said...

agreed. all of it.
I am going to give it a try as well though.

Little Ms Blogger said...

I actually set my DVR because I was curious how they would write a show about this premise. I really liked the Chicksand show -- it made me laugh.

I know the critics are mixed, but I'll keep watching.

Anonymous said...

There were parts I didn't think were all that funny but overall I was laughing hard! I agree with you on the characters. My favorite quote was Brad was talking about what the pizza stone does to Jane. I don't know why but it made me think it was something MB would say. I do love being in the kitchen.

Jess said...

Hmm..I didn't end up watching it, but you may have convinced me to give it a try!!

Haymarket Designs said...

I just found your blog through LuLu and Daisy! Love it! I'm your newest follower!

I too wasn't impressed with Happy Endings from the promos but found myself watching it since it came on after my favorite, modern family. I though it has a lot of potential and kinda reminded me of a modern day Friends.

Haymarket Designs

Love Cocktails and puppydog tails! said...

agreed!

love jenny xoxo said...

I looked for this "on demand" and it wasn't there... but I couldn't remember the named. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't there because I think I would have recognized the name if I saw it, I'll have to catch it next week!

Thanks!