Monday, October 26, 2009

Good Friends, Good Food and Great Cocktails!




Another lovely weekend has come and gone.  I can't believe it!

Friday night we went to the haunted house/train station/whatever it was.  I haven't been to a haunted house type thing in years, and was really looking forward to being terrified.  Unfortunately, it wasn't very scary.  There were a few situations were you ended up in a dark room and couldn't see where you were supposed to walk, which was a bit disorienting, but not very thrilling overall.

Saturday TEN and I bought a pumpkin to carve.  TEN carved it on the back patio, and we named him Henry.  We scooped out all of his "innards" and I attempted to roast the pumpkin seeds with salt in the oven the way my mother used to do.  I burnt them a bit, and they didn't really taste the same way that I remember, but we get an A for effort!  The most important this is that Henry is a fabulous pumpkin if I do say so myself!  No pictures to share, unfortunately, because I left my camera at the cocktail party we went to Saturday night.

Saturday night's cocktail party was FANTASTIC!  Every time the wine group girls (and their dates) get together we have a blast.  The girl that hosted the party made a spooky Halloween vodka concoction in a witches brew punch bowl.  I'm not sure what was in it, but it was tasty!  Another friend made a prosecco & Hpnotiq drink.  Wowsers!  Between the two (and the bottle of white wine I drank) I overdid it for sure!  A dance party ensued, and the pictures are no doubt hysterical!  Again...I unfortunately cannot share them due to my leaving the camera at the party :(

Thanks for the advice on my outfit for the night!!  I wore the black jumpsuit and it was not only cute, but comfy too!  I wore the marigold J. Crew heels I bought for MK's wedding, and lots of chunky jewels.  I think this will become one of my favorite outfits for the fall/winter!  It can be dressed up or dressed down, and it is seriously the most comfy thing I have worn to a cocktail party EVER.

Sunday morning we had PJ Brunch Club, and once again we overindulged with mimosas and fabulous food!  This was surely as gluttonous a weekend as I've had in a long time.  Good friends, good food and great cocktails.  What can I say?

After brunch we headed to the football field for TEN's flag football game.  It was a beautiful day here in Smalltown, VA and I was enjoying visiting with the girlfriends/wives of the players when all of the sudden I felt something bite me on the back of my knee....IN MY JEANS!!!  I started hopping around and trying to get my pants leg up over my knee.  BFF said she saw something fly out of my pants as I pulled them up.  I'm terribly allergic to yellow jackets, and I had seen a few buzzing around earlier.  I was horrified when I saw the back of my knee beginning to swell!  I'm still not sure what bit/stung me, but once I calmed myself down I realized I wasn't have trouble breathing and the swelling finally stopped.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't a yellow jacket, but I kept an eye on it just the same.  The last time I was bitten I ended up in the hospital!  YIKES!  So, alas, a rather dramatic ending to an otherwise lovely weekend.




I'm leaving for Toronto, Ontario, CA at 6:15AM tomorrow morning for a meeting.  I will be arriving back in Smalltown, VA at 10:30PM tomorrow night.  Can you say "LONGEST DAY EVER!".  The other unfortunate thing about this trip is that it will keep me from participating in the ghost walk with the girls.  Hmph!  I am not pleased.  Not pleased at all!

Don't get me wrong...I adore Toronto.  I've been there numerous times, and the city is amazing.  I have met the nicest people on my trips, and done some fabulous shopping as well.  It's just that

Smalltown, VA -> Washington, DC -> Toronto
(Meeting)
Toronto ->Chicago, IL -> Smalltown, VA

makes for a VERY LONG DAY. 

I hope everyone's week is off to a great start, and I'll be sure to share some pictures when I get back (and have my camera) on Wednesday!!!

T

6 comments:

MCW said...

How did a bug get down your pants??? Were you peeing in the woods or something????
Sounds like a VERY fun weekend!

Rosalyn Kay said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend (apart from the possible bee)! Just wanted to let you know that I have recently started reading your blog and love it!

Hope you are having a great Monday!

AMS said...

I'm dying to carve pumpkins!!! Have fun in Toronto - I've never been there!

Melia said...

oh.my.goodness. I am so out of the loop!! Didn't realize your Toronto trip was so soon!! Goodness we need to catch up!!! Safe travels!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great trip. Your weekend sounds great, well minus the attack! Glad it wasn't anything you're allergic to.

Jenny DB said...

mmm... Sunday morning mimosas. My fav:)