Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Bundle of the Chicken


Did I mention that I'm going to Boston for a week?  It's for work, and will be full time, non-stop, grueling work.  This conference exhausts me every year.  So, in preparation for the nightmare week ahead of me I've decided to do NOTHING this week.

No hanging out with friends.  No cocktails.  No chores.  Just laundry, packing, eating, working and going to bed by 10pm.  Today is Wednesday, and so far I've been successful.  Yay for me!

I have been couponing like crazy over the last few weeks...


and my stockpile is getting a bit out of control.  I've got so much meat, chicken & frozen veggies that I can't really justify going out to eat.

I've gone back to my recipe book, and last night TEN and I made a recipe I've had earmarked for a while.  I found the recipe on http://www.quick-and-easy-dinner.com/.  I found my way to this site because although I LOVE/ADORE/ADMIRE/WANT TO BE Gina from Skinnytaste, there are some nights when I just need something, anything, that can be made in 1.5 minutes.  Even if it isn't the most flavorful, fantastic, tasty thing I've ever had.

That's how I found this recipe, and although it is quite simple...there was dough and bundling involved.  And that sounded like fun :)


  • 4oz. cream cheese, softened (I used Neufatel - 1/3 less fat!)
  • 1- 13oz can of chicken (we could only find 10oz or 15oz.  we used 15oz.)
  • 1 Tbs. sesame seeds (honestly...i forgot these.  oops!)
  • 1/4 tsp. parsley
  • 2 cans Pillsbury crescent rolls - leave in fridge until ready to use
  • 1 Tbs. finely chopped onion or dried minced onion (we used fresh, finely chopped)
Please click the title of the recipe above for directions.  I will share a few things with you that are notable though.....

(TEN was the "official" Chef of the evening :)



I forgot to pick up sesame seeds, so TEN suggested using a stalk of celery to add some crunch. We added it to the filling, and it was delish!


I think this mixture is some sort of chicken salad almost, so I'll bet you could add nuts or any other such thing you like in your chicken salad if you wanted to. It almost might help to make it more "exciting" to eat :-o





I have no idea what this recipe author is talking about regarding the crescent rolls. Unless we forgot to do something, 2 cans are always going to be needed. We were left with 2 strips of dough, and made 2 crescent rolls so we didn't waste anything.

Thank goodness a reader wrote in, because apparently we missed a step too. Although what that step is, is beyond me. Buy 2 cans of crescent rolls. Trust me.




The chicken bundles weren't bad, they were just.....there.  Pretty healthy, but pretty bland.  Perhaps using fresh roasted chicken would help?  And maybe some peppers or something to take the spice up a notch?  As I said....I'm pretty sure you could enhance this recipe anyway you like, and it could only make it more enjoyable! 


The pouches were warm and crusty.  The concept was great.  The filling needs some work :)



T

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, they look pretty! I'd eat pretty much anything wrapped in a crescent roll...

Congrats on the couponing! I cut them out, but never seem to remember to redeem them...

Safe travels to Boston :)

Dee Stephens said...

Good to know on this recipe. That's one of Brad's peeves...dishes with no flavor. Have fun in Boston ;)

Life Through Preppy Glasses said...

if you have your own "stockpile" then i think you are officially an extreme couponer!

REBrown said...

I made these and had the same thought. I'm thinking about adding in some salsa to the filling next time. They were just kinda bland.

Ann said...

well quick is always good. I hate coming home and spending forever in the kitchen to make dinner

Linda at beachside cottage said...

They look delicious and I do think the chef's hat made all the difference ;o)

Enjoy them all!

Hugs to little Louis (Love his tartan!)

AND HIS ADORABLE HALLOWE"EN COSTUME!!!! Love!

Linda
beachside cottage

Unknown said...

Don't work too hard in Boston, friend!

I tried the couponing thing... I have friends that are so good at it that they actually get money back from shopping... I have no idea how they do it! I get excited when I save $15.00! (on a $90.00 grocery bill)

XOXO-Vy

Bronwen said...

Shoot me an email if you want to grab a drink or a meal while you are in Boston! And bundle up -- it's colllld here!

Ashley said...

LOL! I WOULD not call that healthy!! It looks tasty to me!
And, have fun in freezing cold Boston. You are so close to me. I will be in Boston next week for 2 days.