Monday, March 30, 2009

Dinner with Ronald Reagan


Saturday night was the fabulous Republican fundraiser I told you about previously. (you know, the one that Lehrer made fun of). It was raining cats and dogs, and my hair was demolished, but other than that it was a lovely evening!

I was happy to see so many young faces in attendance. I don't know if you experience this in your city, but young people seem to be less and less involved in politics in Smalltown, VA. It isn't that they don't vote, or that they don't get into heated debates at the bar. It's that they don't DO anything. They aren't INVOLVED in helping to make their party a success. This is a problem on both sides of the fence in Smalltown, VA, and it really irritates me. Young people are tomorrow's old people. If we don't get involved, who will there be to represent our parties 20 years from now? We are the people that will be expected to run for office in a few years, if not NOW. Do your friends even know who their local candidates are? I know that most of my friends don't.

I had the pleasure of sitting next to a young man who is running for office. Both he and his wife are amazing, and I can't wait to support him come voting day. However, I really should have asked what I could do to help today. I think I will do that. Because really....if I like him, and want him to win, shouldn't I let other people know? Every vote counts.

There was another young man from Smalltown, VA at the fundraiser who is also running for a local office. I know his campaign manager, and think I will reach out to him as well. Sitting around complaining about people not being involved doesn't really accomplish much. Perhaps if I sign up others will follow? I have a sterling silver bracelet with the words "Be The Change You Wish To See In the World - Mahatma Gandhi" engraved on it. My mother gave it to me because she knows how much I believe in these words. I know that helping to support my local politicians might not change the world. But hey, it's a good start!

After the fundraiser was over, most of the younger attendees gathered for cocktails. I ended up playing pool, which I'm usually terrible at, and was a shark! I met quite a few new people, and ran into the mutual friend of Crush and I. He apologized for not texting me back with info, but explained that it would have been an awfully long text. We gossiped about Crush for a bit, and I really hope I get to re-meet him soon. Odds are that he won't be in Smalltown, VA for the long haul...but I still want to get to know him better.

All in all a successful evening. I headed home with many things on my mind. Most importantly, I want to start DOING more to support the things I believe in. If I don't.......can I honestly expect anyone else to?

T

No comments: