Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Unthinkable Has Happened!

Oh friends, I feel terrible. Absolutely terrible! Remember when I told you that when I hurt someone's feelings I think it hurts me more than it hurts them? Well, it does. I'm pretty sure.

I started this little blog as a diary. I guess I should have kept it on paper? I never really meant for anyone else to read it. Well, that's not true. I knew my closest girlfriends were going to read it, but only because I was telling the same stories over and over again and thought this might help me tell it to them only once.

Then, some other people found my blog. I was fine with that. They didn't know who I was, and I never mention anyone's name that I'm talking about. I'm very careful not to post things that would allow people to figure out who I was talking about when it comes to my dates and such. I thought I was covered. Wrong.

I just received an e-mail in my Match.com inbox from someone I blogged about. I feel absolutely dismal :( He found my blog, figured out who he was and was offended by what he read. I can't say I blame him. The worst part is, this isn't even someone I've gone out with. I guess I've become a bit jaded due to the "uniqueness" of the dates I've been on thus far. Rather than simply focus on the positives about each person, I point out my other thoughts as well. Sometimes these can come across in a negative way I suppose.

Regardless, I feel terrible. What I'm writing is out there and people who aren't supposed to find it can. AND...it caused me to hurt someone's feelings.

Does anyone know how to have your blog online, but not allow it to be google-able? Is that possible? If not, I'm going to have to turn this into a word.doc before I screw up another opportunity to meet someone who is probably very nice.

T

4 comments:

An American Girl in London said...

ouch that is not fun. i think there is a pricavy setting on the dashboard, something about letting other people see your blog.

Kate said...

I think there is some setting thing that makes your blog unsearchable. I also recommend changing your match.com name if it is the same as the blog name. I think that would be the easiest option.

**Liz** said...

Go to settings, then scroll down the first page to "Let search engines find your blog" Turn it to NO.

DSS said...

delizcious...i tried that, but it still comes up? i have changed my match.com name (it's still seersucker related, but different) and just hoped for the best! is there something else i can try?